Sunday, December 7, 2008

Through the Eyes of a Seven Year Old

**Editor's Note-All the thoughts are Logan's. Most of the words are his. I have changed a few of his sentences for readability's sake. Remember, these thoughts are from the mind of a seven year old. Enjoy!!

My family has been living in Mexico for two and a half months. I like living here in Playa Azul, and there are some things I miss about living in Canada. Most of all, I miss my brother and sister, my Grandpa, aunts, uncles and cousins, and my friends, especially my best friend, Matthew. (I already know what Matthew and I will do together if he ever comes to visit me in Mexico.) I also miss my school and my neighbourhood friends from College Park in Saskatoon.

I am glad I get to go to school here in Playa Azul. I like it, but it's also hard because I don't speak much Spanish. I'm learning more and more. (Mom and Dad have promised me a bicycle when I can speak lots of Spanish. The bike man, Jesus, said I would be speaking in a year, but I think I will be speaking in six months. I really want a bike.) One of the best things about school is that I know my Physical Ed. teacher. (He takes care of our pool, and he speaks English to me. He says we help each other.) We have a big concrete area at school where we can play "futbol" (that's soccer) and other games like volleyball. I can play better volleyball than the Mexicans, but they sure can play futbol!! At school I have two uniforms I wear- one for PE days on Monday and Wednesday and another for daily wear.

Another thing that I love about Mexico is the fireworks!!! My mom doesn't like them, but I've learned how most of the "cuetes" work. When we go to the market, I always stop and ask the vendors about their fireworks. I know where to get the best ones at the cheapest price. When Ashley comes in January we'll shoot off lots of cuetes because she loves them, too. (We're not sure how we'll get past Mom, but Ash will have some ideas.)

One of the best things about Mexico is my friends. My best friend is named Israel. He's Mexican, but he grew up in California. He speaks English and Spanish. We both have sling shots so we hunt for squirrels that eat the coconuts. One day we were hunting for iguana, but I fell and the iguana bit Israel's finger-ouch! Sometimes Dad takes Israel and me to the beach. We have a great time surfing the waves and looking for "chiquiliquis" (crab-like fish bait in the sand).

My best friend, Israel, my parents' friend, Jesus, and I shoot off cuetes

Another thing I like about Mexico is my soccer team. We haven't won any games, but we get to play every Saturday. We have to wake up at 6:30am to meet the team by 7:00. Mom doesn't come to the games anymore. She says it's too early, and it's a great male-bonding time, whatever that is.) Our team practices Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Sometimes our coach doesn't come to practice so Dad organizes us to play. A few times, we even played basketball at futbol practice. All the kids like my dad.

Though I like Mexico, there are a few things I don't like: the two scorpions we found in our house and the geckos that run on the ceilings and walls (although we don't have as many now that Dad made screens for all the windows). Sometimes there are sting rays in the water. Dad saw four right as I boogie-boarded over them. I'm glad I didn't get stung. Mr. Malcolm (our team mate) said that they really hurt because he got stung by one before.

My favourite foods are quesadillas (tortillas with cheese) and shrimp. We eat more fish and shrimp here than we did in Canada. (My coach told me to eat lots of fish so I could get stronger.) I tried fishing once, but only caught a bit of seaweed. Our team-mate, Mr. Glenn, hopes we can go fishing in a boat sometime.

I also like the church we are helping. I like the music and songs. We have class on Sundays and I get to learn my Bible verse in English. There are lots of kids. My best friends are Renee (our team-mates' boy), Equel, and Hector. We have fun playing. I go with my parents to three group studies. There are kids to play with there, too.

Sometimes I miss Canada, but I like living here in Mexico. We want to teach many people about God. I hope our friends will come see us in Playa Azul. You can meet our new friends. It's hot here and you go to the beach. Ashley is coming to see us in twenty-five days. I can't wait!!!

Logan Krogsgaard

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you can learn Spanish quickly and get a bike. Good job, Logan. Miss you.

Bill Ulrich said...

I loved your journal, Logan. It was so interesting. Hey where's your fireworks safety goggles?? Good luck with your Spanish...here's hoping you'll have your bike in 6 months!!
You are in our prayers, Aunty Wendy & Uncle Bill

Anonymous said...

Hey Logan, Glad to hear from you and that you are "que lo pases bien" in Mexico. (Ask your Mom - I think this isn't quite right - I'm trying to learn a bit of Spanish before we travel to the other side of Mexico in January.) We miss you all. Bet you are excited about Ashley coming! Adios, LaWanda (Brayden's mom)

Anonymous said...

Lynn and I were reading your blog together, and have enjoyed hearing about your adventures, especailly Logan's.
It is hard to believe it has been 20 years since those first days of Mexico City, and your twins are in college now.
Bernard, you and Alisha don't look that old.
Hope you enjoy working with Malcomb and his family.
We wish you all the best and we are cheering for Logan and his spanish so he can get that bike.
Lynn and Celia

TamaLa said...

Hey Logan! Way to go!! That is a fantastic blog entry. I LOVED reading your thoughts about your new life in Mexico. It is wonderful to hear the stories from your mom and dad, but is awesome to hear what you think about all of this too! I am glad that you are making lots of friends, learning lots of spanish(!), enjoying school, playing lots of football and trying lots of new things. Logan, I think that one of the best things about your personality is your very easy-going & fun-loving nature. This helps you to be open to new things and helps you to love people. I can see that people are important to you because you talk about so many different people in your life in Mexico.
Love Tamara