Monday, April 6, 2009

More Visiting Adventures With Socorro

How I wish you all could be with me when I join Socorro for our weekly visiting!! In Spanish we say, "Ella es una guerrera!" (She's a warrior)--and THAT she is! As I mentioned last week, we have started the holidays of "Semana Santa" so many have the next two weeks as vacation. Socorro has no plans of sitting at home eating bon bons; instead, she made plans for us to visit in the morning, as well as our usual afternoon visits on Monday. After fervent prayer we headed for her co-worker's home (also named Socorro). Unfortunately she was not at home, but not a shred of disappointment crossed Soco's face. She knew of someone else she wanted to visit. We headed off to some obscure part of Lazaro. We turned down a dirt road that appeared to go nowhere (but I've learned that looks can be deceiving as to where streets may end). Dodging rocks and holes, she mentioned, "I haven't seen Julia in ten years." I wondered if she could get to Julia's house after such a long time--but no worries, she'll just ask. And ask she did! Every "neighbour" had his/her own thought of where Julia lived. Off we went on our proverbial rabbit trail. Finally we stopped at a wooden shack that Socorro thought may be Julia's house. She knocked, or I should say, yelled. An older woman, cooking her day's meal in the firepit in front of the house, stopped her cooking and walked Socorro the two blocks to Julia's house. (Oh, how I love the fact that the Mexicans always have time for such things.) We stopped at a house that looked abandoned. Without fear, Socorro left her purse with me and headed to the front door. She heaved out of the way the wad of fencing that acted as the gate and headed around to the back of the house. Meanwhile I took in the surroundings: four pigs stare at me from the neighbour's yard, a little nude boy peeks around the corner, I'm sure, wondering what this white senora is doing in his part of town. (He's probably never even seen a real live white woman!!) Music blares from the other side of the street. Wonderful smells of delicious Mexican cuisine wafts from the makeshift, outdoor kitchen of another neighbour. I smile and again thank God that He has given us purpose here in Mexico. About ten minutes later Socorro finally emerges from behind the house. She shares the news that Julia no longer lives there, but that she has met a neighbour who would like to study the Bible with us!!!! "Let's go around the corner and I'll introduce you to her." So off we go to meet Lucita. We made a date for Saturday and asked her to invite any other friends she would like to be a part of the study. Unfortunately I already have a study at that time, but Socorro is very willing to lead the study on her own. She's such a "Guerrera"!!! Please keep Lucita in your prayers. She lives an obviously hard life with her husband and two little children in a little one room cynderblock "cuartito". It is our desire to introduce her to Hope.
A few hours later Soco met me at my house for our six o'clock study with Concha. I asked,"Did you call Concha as she had asked?" Shaking her head, Soco replied, "Oh, no!! We won't call, it gives the enemy too much of an opportunity to put into Concha's head excuses for us not to come--no, we'll just go." So, we prayed fervently that Concha and her daughter, Lety, would be at home and ready to open God's Word. When we arrived, not only were Concha and Lety there, but part-way through the study her husband, Jose, arrived and joined us. The daughter-in-law also came in and out of the study. We had many interruptions and "rabbit chases", but we got through the first study. They were keen on having us back next Monday, but a little latter in the evening so that Jose could join in on all the study! Socorro was sure we had caught the enemy off guard, having four join us for our study. She sang the praises of God all the way home.
I look forward to Mondays as much as I look forward to Sundays now. I know it will always be an adventure with Socorro and God!!! I am, indeed, a most blessed woman to have such a mentor. Soco gives me a big hug and always thanks me for our time together, stating, "I've been praying for such a friend for so long--one with whom I can work in the kingdom." I have a feeling that whether I had come along or not, God has already been using this "guerrera" in His kingdom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u havent updated in awhile... nothing to report? :D
ashley