Monday, March 23, 2009

Meet two of my dearest friends in Mexico!!!

I wish you were all here to meet two of my dearest friends in Mexico. I've known these precious sisters about three months. I've known few who have more fervor for telling others about their Master.
First, allow me to present to you, Blanca Estela Martinez. Blanca is pictured on the left. I first met Blanca when she visited the congregation. A friend of hers, Richard, had told her that he had come across a group of mission-minded Christians--a group that was more concerned for "souls than rules". She quietly took in the morning. The next Thursday she appeared at Jessy and Rigo's cell group with five others with her!!! She could hardly contain her excitement that we served refreshments, that we were informal, yet intimate with each other, that we spoke straight from the Word of God (We later learned she had been a part of a strict, rule enforcing, prosperity preaching group). Her smile told us that she would be back. The next Sunday Blanca brought my soon-to-be second dearest friend,
Maria Socorro Corona Gonzalez (Soco, for short-thankfully). At the end of our celebration time, we offered to pray with people who wanted individual prayer. I slipped over to Soco and asked her how I could pray for her. With tears in her eyes she said, "I just want to be used by God. Please pray that He would lead me to the work He wants for me." I was immediately touched; we prayed. Afterward, I asked her what her passion was. Without having to think very long, she responded, "I love to write and I love to tell others about our powerful God." I responded with a huge grin, "I'm writing a play and I need help with my Spanish. Would you help me?" Her eyes sparkled as we made plans for me to meet her at her house the next week. She was a great help. We had such a fun time writing and getting to know each other. Afterward, she told me how wonderful it would be to have a cell group in her home. She had a perfect spot outside (which she had built just for the purpose of having Bible Studies), so we began dreaming of what God might do. It was set; we would begin a Ladies' Study on Tuesday evenings. She got right to work making invitations and listing women she wanted to invite. "Alicia, we must pray about our study and those we will be inviting," she said, "and when will we go visiting my neighbours?" The next Monday Blanca, Soco and I gathered for prayer, then set out to ask the neighbourhood to come to the study. I can tell you, I have never seen two women more at work in God's Kingdom than Blanca and Socorro!!! I chuckled as I thought to myself, "Okay you English-speaking missionary, who's teaching whom?" It's great to be mentored by these two "Guerreras" (warrior women). We have had two studies so far. We have started out small in number, but through prayer and invitations, we are growing. Through that study, God has given Bernard and me the opportunity to help Soco's daughter, Kenya, and her husband, Rodrigo with marriage counseling as they pass through a difficult time in their relationship. Kenya and Rodrigo also joined us for our celebration time on Sunday!! They mingled very well with the family at La Comunidad de Cristo.
Rodrigo (right)-------------------------------------------------- Kenya









We never know who will walk in with Blanca or Soco each Sunday. They are so excited to be a part of La Comunidad de Cristo. They are tireless and I truly don't have enough hours in the week to do all they want to do for God's Kingdom. Monday afternoons Soco and I visit those who have visited on Sundays or those of our family that we haven't seen in a while, or one of the hundreds of people she has on her "list". Her love oozes out on everyone with whom we visit. We passed by her neighbour's house of years gone by. Concha couldn't come to the Tuesday study, so Soco proceeded to find out what evening we could come by instead. As this exchange is going on, I'm realizing that I don't have a free evening. Meanwhile, Monday evening is decided upon and I quietly tell Soro that I already have a study that night. She was so very disappointed, then her face lit up, "Oh well, I'll come by myself and teach her what I learn on Tuesdays!" What a warrior!!! Later I spoke to Soro about mentoring another young woman in the congregation--taking another along with her as she teaches Concha. Soro thought that was a splendid idea. The woman has no fear or intimidation when it comes to bringing God's truth to others. On our way to her house, Soro quietly said, "I'm so very happy. I have been praying for so long to have someone to walk along side me visiting others and telling them about God." We do have a God who answers prayers. I have no doubt many will learn of His grace and mercy through these two women.







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting to have the Spirit lead such driven people to the work that He is doing there in Mexico. I can't wait to come for a visit and meet them!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like we could all learn a lot from Soro and Blanca

Ian said...

Thanks for the report on the progress of the work and the encouragement it gives everyone.

Jackie said...

So encouraging!! And yes, we do have a God who answers our many prayers. Thank Him for that!!