Monday, March 16, 2009

A Wonderful Day Of Family Worship

My day started around 3 am as I awoke to water pouring off our roof. Coming out of my sleepy daze, I soon realized that our water tank on the roof must be overflowing. I surveyed the situation and decided that I needed to put the wasting water to good use. Rather than have the water spout out of the too-full reservoir, I began filling the downstairs "pileta" which holds hundreds of liters of water. After three hours the downpour off the roof has subsided and I am still wide awake. It's unusual that I am up before the tortilleria opens, but this morning I'm even up before the "rooster crows"...6:20 and my feathered friends are well into their chorus of crows. It's 6:21 and the first worker at the tortilleria has just arrived. It's a holiday today, so they are arriving a bit late. The machines have begun their mixing and screeching. The cackles and songs from the workers will start soon. They are certainly a happy bunch over there!!!
Yesterday was a beautiful day of family worship as about 50 of our family and visitors gathered to give honour and praise to our God. We are feeling comfortable in our new building and loving all the space we have. Our theme for the day was "LIGHT". The music team led us in meaningful reflection as we sang: Let us be light. We can't hide it, nor can we be silent. The need is so great. We must be light. Afterward our Thursday cell group put on a drama about four candles that refused to shine. I had written the play based on a story in one of Max Lucado's books. The little candles had all kinds of excuses as to why they couldn't shine. One didn't have the talent, another just didn't know enough, a third was too scared, and the last was more talk than light. It was a time of laughter, yet the meaning was poignant: A Christian who fails to live as light is like a candle that refuses to burn. The Lord's supper was centered around lighted candles as families shared the emblems together. Bernard presented an excellent lesson: God is light, Jesus is light, and we, too, have been declared light. I continue to be amazed as how God is using Bernard as an effective and capable communicator of His truth. Twenty years ago Bernard stumbled and fumbled over his Spanish words. It was never easy for him. NOW, however, he hardly refers to his notes. His words seem to effortlessly flow from his thoughts. He causes us to reflect deeply upon the truths of God's Word. There is no doubt that God is using Bernard in a mighty way here in Lazaro Cardenas. It feels good to be ministering in our "sweet spot" (Refer to Max Lucado's book, The Cure for the Common Life.) Our children are blessed with excellent teaching. Tammy has developed an exciting and effective children's program, and she continues to mentor the Mexicans to take over the responsibility of the teaching. The children love Tammy as she overflows with love for, not only the children, but for anyone who walks through our doors. We are constantly reminded how blessed we are to be a part of this wonderful church-planting team!!!
After our celebration time a neighbour from Playa Azul dropped by the church building to see us, so we had Holly over to the house for Stir Fry and a visit. Later, I met Soco at her house and we did some visiting, inviting friends and neighbours to attend our Tuesday night cell group. Logan and Bernard took in a new park. Logan thoroughly enjoyed beating his dad in several games of basketball. Logan and his dad have met some kids at the area soccer field and basketball court, so Logan has enjoyed having a few boys from the neighbourhood over to the house. Logan is excited to start school tomorrow (Tuesday). Again, his good attitude shines in that he's not afraid to get out there and meet people.
So that's our news. We would love to hear about your news. Make a comment or e-mail us a short note. As always, we would love to have you come see what God is doing here in Lazaro Cardenas. Blessings as you SHINE in your corner of the world!!
Bernard, Alicia, and Logan Krogsgaard

3 comments:

Heather said...

Well I got up this morning to "Mom the printer is jammed and I need to print this off for school...oh and could you hurry as I have to leave now." LOL Sorry Alicia I think I prefer that over bailing water for several hours LOL

Sounds like a wonderful worship service you had the other day - reminds me of a Chris Rice song called "Go Light Your World" the chorus is:
"Carry your candle, run to the darkness,
Seek out the helpless,
confused and torn
And hold out your candle for all to see it
Take your candle and go light the world,
take your candle and go light the world."
It's a beautiful song and you know, that's what your family is doing :-)

I think I'll put the song on as I clean up my kitchen. Take care!

Ian said...

We think of you often and with spring just around the corner we won't have to envy you your warm weather.

TamaLa said...

Good to catch up with your last few blogs Alicia! I am glad that your move went so smoothly and that you are settling nicely into your new home. You guys are just wonderful! I love reading about your life and daily happenings! We will make it there one day - don't think I'm just saying that!
We're doing well in Regina. School is nuts right now. I have 10 papers this semester. That's disgusting. But it is all getting done and soon finals will be upon us. I am planning to take four classes this summer, so I really won't be having much of a break, but it will mean I can graduate by April 2010, so it will be worth it.
Anyway, glad to hear that all is well with you three.
Love you guys!